If you’ve ever bought a phone, you know how easy it is to get caught up in customizing your settings. Whether it’s your background image or your default browser, there are plenty of ways to personalize your device.
One type of phone that has a wide variety of customization settings is Android. While the default settings might be handy for a while, you don’t have to limit yourself to them by any means. Tap or click here to quickly access your Android phone’s secret menu.
Since Android phones have a variety of customization settings, we have described the following ways to take advantage of them.
How to Change Default Apps on Android
If you have multiple apps that do the same thing, you can choose which app to use as the default. For example, if you have multiple messaging apps, you can choose the default one.
REMARK: Some of these steps only work on Android 9 and later.
To view a list of default applications:
- Open your phone Settings application.
- Faucet apps > Default apps.
- Tap the default you want to change.
- Tap the app you want to use as default.
Although Google Chrome is the default browser on most Android devices, it’s easy to change it if you prefer. If you want to make the switch, there are a few options you can use.
Some examples of other browsers you can use are Mozilla Firefox, Brave, and Opera. Tap or click here for the five best browsers not named Chrome to use with your Android phone.
To make this change, follow these steps:
- On your Android, open Settings.
- Faucet Apps and Notifications.
- At the bottom, tap Advanced.
- Faucet Default apps.
- Faucet browser app and select the browser you want to use as default.
Caller ID and spam app
By default, Android has a built-in caller ID and spam protection feature, which basically acts as a filter for unwanted spam calls. This feature ensures that you are no longer notified if unwanted calls try to reach you.
If you want to disable this feature, follow these steps:
- On your device, open the Call application.
- Faucet More options > Settings > Spam filter and call.
- Turn See caller ID and spam On or off.
Android also gives you the option to report and block unwanted calls.
If you wish to do so, follow these steps:
- Open the Phone app.
- Faucet Recent.
- Find the call you want to mark as spam.
- Faucet Block/report spam.
- Faucet Report call as spam.
- To select Block to block the phone number.
Digital assistant app
Android devices are automatically set to Google for their digital assistant needs. But there are a variety of other alternatives that you can choose from if you wish. These alternatives include Firefox, DuckDuckGo or Opera.
To make the change, you can do the following:
- To open Settings.
- To select Apps and Notifications.
- Faucet Advanced down the page.
- Faucet Default apps.
- To select Assistance and voice input to the top of the page.
- Faucet OKAY in response to the pop-up window.
- Make sure this new option is toggled to On in the Assist app.
The default SMS app for Android is Messages. Here’s how to change it:
- Open your device Settings application.
- Faucet apps > Default apps > SMS app.
- Choose the messaging application you want to use.