This tutorial is about changing the default apps in Windows 11. We will do our best for you to understand this guide. I hope you will like this blog How to Change Default Apps in Windows 11. If your answer is yes, please share after reading this.
Check how to change default apps in Windows 11
Changing the default software for a given file format was easy before Windows 10. Usually, programs allow you to bundle it with certain extensions. Changing the default app handlers in Windows 10 just got a little harder, leading to customer complaints. Microsoft Edge, for example, is the operating system’s default browser. However, if you are using another browser, you cannot make it your default web browser. When Firefox 91 was released, Mozilla was able to circumvent this restriction, but other applications are not so lucky and require an extra step.
Set or Change Default Apps in Windows 11
Windows 11 brings a new interface and features compared to the predecessor. The Settings app has also changed, which means that the default app settings are slightly different from Windows 10. You can set any app of your choice as the default app in Windows 11 using different methods . This can be done from Settings or from File Explorer. You can also set what an app can open by default per app. All methods are explained below.
Change Default Apps in Windows 11 Settings
- Open Settings on your Windows 11 PC.
- Select Apps from the sidebar on the left.
- Here, click Default apps.
- In the search bar, enter the file type for which you want to change the default program. For example: .mp4, .mpeg, .png, etc.
- The current default application for the entered file type will appear in the search result. play it
- Then select the app you want to set as the new default app.
- Click OK to apply.
If the app you want is not available in the menu, click Look for another app on this PC and select the app’s .exe file from your computer’s storage. You will usually find it in C:Program Files.
For each file type format
A particular file type can have different formats. For example, MPEG has different formats like MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG3 and MPEG4. You can set different default applications for each file type version, for example VLC Media Player for MPEG4 and GOM Player for MPEG2.
- Scroll down the Settings > Apps > Default apps page.
- Here, click Choose defaults by file type.
- On the next screen, find the file type.
- Select the default application of your choice for each format, as we did above.
By type of link or protocol
Similarly, you can configure applications to open certain links or protocols by default. For example, you can configure to ask Windows to open IM (Instant Messaging) with the Zoom app, HTTP with Chrome, DAAP with iTunes, etc., as follows:
- Open the Settings > Apps > Default apps page. Scroll down.
- Here, click Choose defaults by link type.
- On the next screen, you will see all link types and their current default applications.
- Tap the one you want to edit and select the desired app.
Set default apps for file type in File Explorer
The other option is to set default apps for files from File Explorer. You can do this in two ways, either through the context menu or through the file properties, which are detailed below.
Using Open With
- Right click on the file for which you want to change the default program.
- Tap Open with and select Choose another app.
- On the next screen, check the app you want to set as default.
- Next, check the “Always use this app to open…files” box.
- Click OK and you’re done.
- If you can’t find the checkbox, click More apps in the list. Also, if the app of your choice is not available in the menu, use the Look for another app on this PC option.
Via file properties
You can also change the default application for any file type by accessing file properties. The steps are shown below.
- Right-click on the file to open the context menu.
- Select Properties.
- You will see the current default application next to “Open with”.
- Tap Edit and select the desired default app. Check the box to always use this application.
- Click OK to confirm.
Check the defaults for each app
You can also view and modify the apps on your computer that can open by default on a per-app basis. For example, you can directly see all the files or links Chrome can open and which program is currently designated to open those files in one place.
- Open Settings on your Windows 11 PC.
- Select Apps and click Default Apps.
- On the next screen, you will see the list of apps.
- Tapping on an app will show you all of the file types it can open and the current default program for those file types.
- Click on the file type for which you want to change the default program and make your choice.
- Finally, press OK to save the changes.
Final Words: How to Change Default Apps in Windows 11
Hope you understand this article How to Change Default Apps in Windows 11, if your answer is no, you can ask anything via the contact forum section linked to this article. And if your answer is yes, share this article with your family and friends.